Commander (Dr) Kavikant Mahapatra (Retd)
NAME : Commander (Dr) Kavikant Mahapatra (Retd)
DESIGNATION : Associate Professor
PhD (Mechanical Engineering)
OVERVIEW OF PROFILE :
Commander (Dr) Kavikant Mahapatra (retd) is a retired veteran officer of Indian Navy. He was commissioned as a Marine Engineer Officer in the Indian Navy during 1993. He completed his BTech (Mechanical) in first class from Naval College of Engineering at INS Shivaji Lonavala, during 1994 and ME (Mech, Marine) in the grade first class with distinction from University of Pune during 2001. Having completed 24 glorious years of service in Navy, he took premature retirement in the rank of Commander in the year Feb 2018. He completing PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Defence Institute of Adavnced Technology (Deemed University) Pune (An university under DRDO, Ministry of Defence), on Oct 2019 for the Thesis titled “Effect of General Boundary and Coupling Conditions on the Vibration and Power Flow Characteristics of Isotropic Beams and Plates”.
In his 24 years of service in navy, Commander Mahapatra has performed varied appointments. He has served as an Engineer Officer on the Frontline Destroyer ships like INS Ranjit and the newly inducted Frigate INS Tabar. During his ship assignment, he has handled Operartion, Technical planning and assessment, defect rectification, testing / tuning , Planned Preventive Maintenance, refit planning and execution and Inventory control of propulsion machinery and sytems, Power generation, HVAC, Transmission and Refrigeration systems associated with the ship. He majorly spccialises in the operation and maintenance of marine Gas Turbine Propulsion and Power generation machineries and systems. Apart from the mechanical systems, he has also handled human resource management on board ships and various base organisations including defence civilian personnel during his active service as Engineer Officer in the Indian Navy. His major stint has been in the field of training wherein he was the Vice Principal and HoD(Marine) of the prestigious Naval College of Engineering at INS Shivaji Lonavala for 03 years. He has also been an instructor for almost 10 years, teaching mechanical and marine subjects to the BTech(Mechanical) and MTech(Marine) officers of Indian Navy at Naval College of Engineering, INS Shivaji and Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, Pune. Apart from teaching assignments, he has handled the monitoring of maintenance activities and generation of maintenance policies for all engineering equipments of ships and submarines of Indian Navy. He has also been associated with Quality assurance activities in respect of Gas Turbine operation, maintenance and repairs at Visakhapatnam and of repair yard at Naval Dockyard Mumbai. He retired from Indian Navy during Feb 2018.
His field of academic interest are Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Mechanical Vibrations, IC engines and marine propulsion and power plants.
He has 08 international journal publications to his credit in the field of vibration of mechanical structures.
FORE FRONT AREA OF RESEARCH: Structural Vibrations, Marine Systems
CONTACT NO : 020-30253500
EMAIL ID : email@example.com
EXPERIENCE : Teaching: : 11yrs (Indian Navy)
MEMBERSHIPS : SAE
Awards and Achievements
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2019, Dynamic Response and Vibration Power flow in Rectangular isotropic Plate using Fourier series Approximation and Mobility Approach. Journal of Vibration Engineering and Technologies, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42417-018-0079-3.
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2019, A New Fourier series method and displacement function for In-Plane vibration And power flow characteristics analysis Of Isotropic Rectangular Plates. Noise and Vibration Worldwide, 50(6), pp. 176-194. https://doi.org/10.1177/095745651985381.
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2018, Coupled Plate Vibration Analysis using General Conditions of Boundary Restraint and Coupling Junction. London Journal of Engineering Research. 18(2), pp. 53-64.
- Mahapatra Kavikant & Panigrahi SK, 2018, Dynamic Response of a Damped Euler–Bernoulli Beam Having Elastically Restrained Boundary Supports. Journal of Institute of Engineers, India, Series C, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40032-018-0485-z .
- Mahapatra, Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2016, Vibration Characteristics of a beam with generalised end supports, International Journal of Structural Engineering, 7(2), pp. 193-213. https:// doi. org/ 10. 1504/ IJSTRUCTE. 2016. 076696 .
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2019, Effect of General Boundary and Coupling conditions on the Vibration and Power Flow Characteristics of a Coupled H-shaped Three Plate Structure, Noise and Vibration Worldwide, 50(6), pp. 176-194.
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2019, Effect of General Coupling conditions on the Vibration and Power Flow Characteristics of a Two-Plate built-up Plate Structure. Mechanics based Design of Structures and Machines, DOI: 10.1080/ 15397734.2019.1701492.
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2019, In-Plane Vibration Characteristics of Isotropic Plate with Elastic Edge Restraints. International Journal of Structural Engineering (IN PRESS).
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK, 2015, Effect Of Damping On The Dynamic Response of a Beam With Non-Ideal Boundary Supports. MILIT Journal ,Vol IV, pp. 27-31.
- Mahapatra Kavikant and Panigrahi SK and Das Arnab, 2014, Noise Characterisation and Prediction: A Review of Domains and Applications. Marine Engineers Review (India)., 8(11), pp. 28-38.
- Mahapatra Kavikant, Panigrahi SK. “Effect of Coupling Conditions on the Vibration Characteristics of an L-Shaped Built-up Isotropic Plate Structure”, 64th Congress of Indian Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ISTAM -2019) (An International Conference), IIT-B, Odisha, Dec 09-12 2019.
- Mahapatra Kavikant, Panigrahi SK. “Effect of General Boundary Condition on the Vibration Characteristics of Rectangular Plate”, PLMSS-2017; DIAT(DU), Pune; Dec 13-15, 2017.
- Mahapatra Kavikant, Panigrahi SK. ‘The Effect of Non-Ideal Boundary Conditions On Vibration Characteristics of Beams’ ,International Conference on Computer Aided Engineering (CAE-2015) held at GITAM University, Hyderabad during 10-12th Dec 2015.
- Mahapatra Kavikant, Panigrahi SK. “Effect Of Damping On The Dynamic Response of a Beam With Non-Ideal Boundary Supports”, International Conference on Composite Material and Structures (ICCMS)-2016 at IIT Powai during Jun-Jul 2016.
- Mahapatra Kavikant. “Ferrofluid: Introduction and Application in Marine Environment” International Conference and Technology Meet on Military and Marine Applications (IWCEM)-2013 at Pune.