The Oxford of East: Pune
Pune, also called Oxford of the East, is the study hub for higher education courses. The city received its first university, the University of Pune, in 1949. There were only 18 colleges affiliated with the University of Poona when it was founded.
The university currently has 433 affiliated colleges and 232 recognized research institutions. The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has given the university the highest A rating for overall performance.
Being the state's cultural hub, the city has long had an innate link to theater, music, the arts, and literature. It has also been a hub for learning and research across many disciplines. It was once famous for Film and engineering and Now is well-known for all types of academic courses.
Pune: City at a glance
Pune is called the educational and cultural capital of Maharashtra. It has been ranked “ The most liveable city” several times. The City has the following features that make it a perfect place to live:
- It is the largest IT hub in India.
- It is also an important automobile and manufacturing hub in India.
- The city has several world-class educational institutes in every sector.
- About 50% of international students study in city colleges and universities.
- After Mumbai and Thane, the Pune District is Maharashtra's third largest contributor to the state's economy.
Career after Civil Engineering Degree
The Oxford of East: Pune
The main attraction of Pune city is its education system. The city is dotted with numerous internationally acclaimed educational institutions. Pune University is the second largest university, with 811 colleges, after Osmania University.
Oxford university is the prime, oldest, and most sustainable university in the world. It is located in the United Kingdom. Similarly, Pune is known as the Oxford of the East for similar reasons.
English education in the city started in the year 1880, with the foundation of the English school, followed by the Deccan educational society established in 1884. However, the renowned Fergusson College was founded in 1892 by Vaman Shivram Apte, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Vishnushastri Chiplunkar, Mahadeo Ballal Namjoshi, and Gopal Ganesh Agarkar.
Additionally, Fergusson College has produced many well-known graduates. Several notable Fergusson College graduates include
- P. V Narasimha Rao, the 9th Prime Minister of India
- Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, popularly known as Veer Savarkar, Indian Politician
- Suresh Kalmadi, a former member of the Indian Parliament for Pune
- Prahlad Kakkar, film maker
- Sonali Kulkarni, Film Actress
- Radhika Apte, film actress
- Pooja Batra, Film actress
Furthermore, the term “Oxford of the East” was used by the first prime minister of India “Jawahar Lal Nehru”.
How the city benefits the IT aspirants
Pune city is a focal point of many IT industries or companies. It also has world-class universities offering courses in different fields. This helps the student to get an education as well as a job in one place.
Moreover, as we have discussed earlier too, Pune city is the “best liveable place” therefore the environment and the culture of the place attract more people across the globe to settle here.
Here is the list of the top colleges in Pune
- AISSMS College of Engineering
- Army Institute of Technology, Pune
- Bharti Vidyapeeth College of Architecture
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Dhole Patil College of Engineering, Pune
- DY Patil College of Engineering, Pune
- Indira College of Engineering and Management
- MIT Academy of Engineering, Pune
- MIT World Peace University, Pune
- IIIT, Pune
Management colleges in Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
- International Institute of Management Studies
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- Indira School of Business Studies
- Balaji Institute of Modern Management
- MIT World Peace University
- MIT College of Management, Pune
- DY Patil School of Management
- Sinhgad Buisness School, Pune
- Institute of Management Research and Development
There is a long list of colleges but we have mentioned here only the top 10 colleges. Apart from the world-class education, the fee of the college is also very reasonable. The college fees vary from 4 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs.
However, the college also provides placement assistance and summer training to students in the top IT companies. Furthermore, being the center of the IT industries the college also organizes an industrial visit to the IT companies so that the student can get a real-time experience of the industries.
Further, a top industrialist in the IT field also visits the college from time to time to give guest lectures. This indeed helps the student to set up a link with these professionals.
Pune is an education center for all kinds of professional courses. Management, Engineering, Law, Medical, Teaching, pharmacy, and many more courses are available in one city. In addition to this, the city is also a center of the industries in IT, Medical, Manufacturing, and other fields.
Therefore it is a palace where you can find world-class education along with the best companies for the job. Hence, you can get better career opportunities for your career advancement.
Therefore, The Oxford of the East (Pune) benefits IT, aspirants, in framing a wonderful career!